March 16, 2020 UPDATE
Dear Exhibitors, Families, and Volunteers,
Due to the unprecedented circumstances, the IRCYLH board was forced to make some very difficult decisions regarding the 2020 Show and Auction. The following changes will occur:
- STEERS MUST BE WEIGHED-IN BEFORE 9:00 AM ON TUESDAY, MARCH 17TH, 2020.
- THE STEER SHOW WILL BEGIN AT 11:00 AM ON TUESDAY, MARCH 17TH, 2020.
- *STEER SHOW WILL BE MORE LIKE A PROSPECT SHOW, MEANING ALL STEER WILL LEAVE THE GROUNDS, WITH THE EXHIBITOR, AFTER THE SHOW AND THE CARCASS ULTRASOUND.
- THE GOAT AND SHEEP SHOW WILL CONTINUE AS SCHEDULED—BEGINNING AT 6:00 PM, TUESDAY, MARCH 17TH, 2020.
- THE SWINE SHOWMANSHIP, SCHEDULED FOR WEDNESDAY, MARCH 18TH 2020, HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
- *ALL SWINE CAN BE PICKED UP, BY THE EXHIBITOR, STARTING TUESDAY, MARCH 17TH, 2020 AT 8:00 PM (OR UPON THE CONCLUSION OF THE GOAT AND SHEEP SHOW) UNTIL MIDNIGHT. HOWEVER, THEY MUST BE REMOVED BY WEDNESDAY, MARCH 18TH, 2020 BY 8:00 PM.
- An awards ceremony originally scheduled for Friday, March 20th has been postponed until all large gathering restrictions have been lifted by the appropriate authorities.
- The Whip Cracking contest that was also scheduled on Friday, March 20th has been postponed and will be rescheduled for a later date.
- The mandatory tear down, originally scheduled for Saturday, March 21st and Sunday, March 22nd, 2020, has also been cancelled.
- All remaining projects will need to be removed by Wednesday, March 18th, 2020 by midnight.
The reason for the cancellation is due to the CDC’s recommendation that gatherings be limited to less than 50 persons. The swine exhibitors alone exceed this recommendation. Therefore, the IRCYLH Board of Directors voted unanimously on the changes above. This decision, as you all know, was not taken lightly, but we are looking out for the best interest of ALL exhibitors, their families, and all their loved ones.
Due to the unknown duration of the CDC’s recommendation of less than 50 people, to a gathering, and the potential of a forced quarantine, we must act now and not hesitate. There have been numerous discussions about the possible length of our current circumstance. Discussions have suggested a possibility that the processed meat will be ready during a possible quarantine situation, which would leave IRCYLH liable to house the processed meat, valued at over $100,000, for an unknown length of time. The decision has been made that all market livestock and/or projects must be removed from the fairgrounds, by exhibitor families, no later than Wednesday, March 18th, 2020, by midnight. IRCYLH will not host an auction or sale for any market livestock or project due to the extenuating circumstances.
The exhibitor will now be responsible for transporting their project off the grounds, arranging for a private treaty sale, securing their own processor, and paying for all processing fees associated with their project. There is a slight silver lining and some good news, Jeff Ward and family at Cut Rite Outback, is committed to honoring the already negotiated bulk price of processing for IRCYLH exhibitors. If choosing Cute Rite Outback, the exhibitor is responsible for making the necessary arrangement with Jeff Ward.
IRCYLH is committed to helping all exhibitors, who might be limited to finding an interested buyer for their project(s). Our plan is to reach out to last year’s buyers and our local community, to seek any and all potential buyers.
Please keep in mind, that ANY and ALL decisions made by the IRCYLH board members, has been conducted in due diligence with ALL exhibitors’ best interest in mind. In perspective, our current situation is UNPRECEDENTED, area shows have been cancelled completely with exhibitors not being allowed to show or sell their projects The IRCYLH family has been fortunate to be able to host the bulk of our planned shows and is committed to continuing to help all exhibitors. The board would like to extend a HUGE THANK YOU to all the numerous volunteers that have worked tirelessly to put on the best show possible with our current circumstances. The board would like all the exhibitors, families, and volunteers to know that you will be in our thoughts, as we adjust to the “new normal” of our situation.
President of IRCYLH
The Indian River County Youth Livestock and Horticulture Inc is a Florida registered Not for Profit Corporation that is recognized as tax exempt by IRS code 501 (c) 3.
Formed in July 2017 the aim and purpose of the Indian River County Youth Livestock and Horticulture Inc is to promote and encourage the work of 4-H Clubs, Future Farmers of America, and adult leaders of Indian River County in promoting any phase of the agriculture industry.
1. To promote Livestock, horticulture and the agriculture industry in the community, involving youth, and members of their families and community.
2. To teach youth fundamentals and professionalism of animal husbandry and business.
3. To plan and host successful local livestock and horticulture shows highlighting the youth of Indian River County.
4. The main emphasis will not be on profit, but the project as a learning tool to build and develop respectable and responsible young adults with marketable skills.
IRCYLH is a member based non-profit. Membership is open to any individuals 21 and over who live or work in Indian River County and share the mission and goals of IRCYLH.
Members annually elect the Board of Directors, Committee Chairs and Committees that will head the running of the annual fair time show and auction.
About 4-H Club Programming
For more than 100 years, 4-H Clubs have been the primary delivery method of the 4-H program. Caring volunteers, together with University of Florida Faculty, provide opportunities for youth to "learn by doing" in a club setting. In their clubs, 4-H members are learning valuable life skills.
Joining a 4-H Club
Most young people join a 4-H club with which they're already familiar. Others join a club based on the types of projects that club offers. 4-H Clubs are open to all youth, ages 5 - 18. Some projects, like large animal projects, are reserved for members 8 years and older.